Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life Is No Brief Candle - Living Like It Matters (George Bernard Shaw)

George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950
No 'brief candle'
George Bernard Shaw had a lot to say. Much of his musings are, well, not my style, but these particular quotes are winners. They've been used, reused, and used again. Still they remain pertinent and powerful. Read, contemplate, enjoy...

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and that as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for a moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.


And

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

Each of us is called to a choice: Do we wrap ourselves in self-pity, arrogance, and greed? Or do we step out into the world, risks and all, and declare ourselves to be a contribution, serving each other to the best of our abilities?

The answer will determine the outcome of your life...and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.