Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why You Are The Way You Are…Good or Bad, Right or Wrong

You hear all about the law of attraction. You read all kinds of self-help books and listen to gurus of every stripe. Just follow your heart, say a few affirmations, read “The Secret” and your life will be prosperous, abundant, joy-filled and satisfying.

Well, maybe, maybe not.

There is something you must know that not too many of those gurus spend a lot of time explaining. Perhaps they simply overlook it or forget or think it may alienate you if they bring it up—again (They’ve brought it up before and you have conveniently chosen to forget it, perhaps). But you have a buddy traveling with you and that buddy is the main determiner (if I may make up a word) of the direction and outcome of your life. Who is it? Read on…

I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden. I will push you onward or drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. Half the things you do you might just as well turn over to me. And I will be able to do them quickly and correctly. I am easily managed. You must merely be firm with me. Show me exactly how you want something to be done and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically. I am the servant of all great people and alas, of weaklings as well. Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures. I am not a machine, though I work with all the precision of the machine, plus the intelligence of the human. You man run me for profit or run me for ruin; it makes no difference to me. Take me, train me and be firm with me and I will put the world at your feet. Be easy with me, soft with me, lenient with me and I will destroy you. Who am I? I am Habit.*

Next time you find and read a great self-help book, remember that in order for any of it to be beneficial to you, it will be necessary to create new habits. Otherwise, save your money. (Which, by the way, is a pretty good habit.)

*Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.