Thursday, December 1, 2011

Remembering Our Friends and Families On World AIDS Day - 2011


It was the early 1980s when the reality of AIDS hit my community in Denver. By the end of that decade, and into the early years of the 1990s, I had lost seven close friends, with more to follow by 1995.

This disease did not play favorites. Both straight and gay friends were its target. Today, though, we have medication that extends folks' lives way past what we thought was possible only a few years ago. My friend Michael is now 20 years past diagnosis. And I am very grateful.

Bruce, Dean, Don, Willy, Dave, Bob and Jimmy, Lois, Ann, and Paula: I still think of you. I love you. You helped to make me what I am today.

(This disease, though in check a bit, has not yet been eradicated. On behalf of friends, family, your community, and your world, please continue to support the effort to make AIDS a disease of the past.)

1 comment:

  1. in parts of asia the situation is much worse than we know of. they think of aids as a contagious disease and treat the victims boldly. i heard many tribes actually leave the patients alone to die... 7 chakras Meditation

    ReplyDelete

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.