Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gunman Kills Two At Clackamas Town Center Mall, Portland, Oregon


Another deadly shooting, this time in my own back yard...  

Yesterday, Dec. 11, 2012, a lone gunman ran into the Clackamas Town Center mall just outside Portland and began shooting. Before he killed himself, he killed two Christmas shoppers and seriously injured a third, who is currently recovering at a local hospital.

Over the past few years as I have watched gunmen kill people all over America--in theaters, on college and high school campuses, in churches, temples, and of course, shopping malls--I've wondered just how long it would be before it happened here, in Portland. Now it has. And I feel a very personal loss.

Every Friday, around 11:30 a.m., my best friend Iris and I have coffee together at Starbuck's in the Barnes and Noble store at the Clackamas mall. It's only a few steps and one level down from the mall food court, where most of the shooting took place. We chat about our week, talk about the families, have a scone or a bagel and a grande coffee, and generally have a wonderful time together. It's a highlight of the week for both of us.

That has now changed. This coming Friday, if the mall has reopened, we will have a very different experience--that is, if we decide to have our coffee there. I know we'll return eventually, but for now, maybe not. All I can think about is the families of the two people who died. Their holiday season is over.

The 2nd Amendment and assault weapons in the hands of the citizenry. Wow. What an issue, eh? I bet you have an opinion. Share it with me, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.