Friday, December 16, 2011

Faith: How to Know If You Have It

Dancing for joy...
Discovering joy... 

St. Paul says that faith is substance and evidence. In other words, it's solid, certain, unquestioned and unquestionable. It's not hope, which is a great big 'maybe.' So, if you say you have faith, you do not doubt. You trust. You never ask again. Right?

Wow. How many of us actually see faith in that light? Most of the time, when we speak of faith, we use it in the manner of hope: We must have faith that all will be well. We must have faith that God/Allah/Jesus/Zeus will answer our pleading prayer. We must have faith that Tim Tebow* will lead our team to victory over that other team, even though they're praying that he won't be able to do such a thing.

Again, wow.

Faith is not like that. Faith is acceptance. I have total faith that the sun will last through the course of my lifetime. I have faith that the oceans will produce mists that will turn to clouds that will bring much needed rain to the parched land. (Living in Oregon, I never have any doubts about that.) And I have faith that I will one day dissolve back into the earth from whence I have sprung and be as recycled as the star dust from giant exploding super novas.

I know that all is as it should be. The universe has my best interests at heart.

Of those things I am certain. It never enters my mind to question them.

Can we have that kind of faith when it comes to our relationship with Spirit? Can we? Most don't. Most hope. But not you. You know that there is never a time when you are separate. There is never a moment when you are alone. You know for certain that what you need is always provided, even without asking. You know all that. And you live from that place of faith all the time.

When you have that kind of faith, that kind of certainty, you never have to pray again. Except for one kind of prayer...

Thank you.


*Denver Broncos quarterback as of this writing, December 2011, known not only for his come-from-behind winning plays but also for his evangelical Christianity. He kneels in prayer after each successful play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.