Monday, November 21, 2011

Did You Choose To Be Here, On This Planet, In This Moment? Or Not?



Does a fish know it's in the water? 


I do not know the answers to life's toughest questions. I do not know if I chose to come to this planet or not. All I know is that I have a choice in front of me. I can believe all the superstitious woo woo, or I can be the perennial skeptic. Since I do not know, I choose skeptic. 


What others tell me must pass through my personal sieve, be judged for what it is, kept or tossed, and then, eventually I, like everything else, will die. It's that simple. What I do between birth and death is the big question.  


So, with that in mind, I choose to believe that the universe is simple, logical, consistent, lawful, and wonderfully mysterious. I am here because my parents had sex, egg and sperm connected, I was born, and now I'm having this discussion, writing this post. 


I can also choose how to be in relationship with the world: Compassionate or nasty, understanding or egotistical. My decision will determine the direction of my life from this point forward. 


If there is anything beyond that, it has yet to show itself. When it does, I shall consider it. 


Simple, to the point, open, curious, and doubtful of all philosophies, religions, and even certain science 'facts.'* 


And, above all, I've had a ball. I hope you have as well. 


Blessings.


*Actually, facts are simply the spot where science has stopped the research...at least for the moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.