Friday, July 20, 2012

Massacre In Colorado--Again

Rocky Mountain National Park
Colorado
Last evening, at the premiere of Dark Knight Rising in Aurora, Colorado, a crazed gunman stormed the theater, killing 12 and wounding more than 70. This tragedy occurred just 13 miles from the 1999 Columbine massacre in Littleton. 


I have a special interest in these horrors. I called Denver home in the 1970s and 80s and worked for a while in Aurora. When I heard the news this morning, I was devastated. And extremely angry. That has now subsided to a controllable level. But the distress remains.


Turns out, the US averages around 20 mass murders every year. And still we go on and on about better gun control, with the National Rifle Association lobbying intensely to keep everything the way it is. 


As much as I would like to see stricter gun control, I will not take up the issue here, in this moment. I simply want to express my sadness, and my condolences to the victims and their loved ones in this latest attack on the American people.


Rest in peace, my compadres. Love and light to the families and friends, and to all the residents of Aurora, the Denver metro area, the State of Colorado, and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that disagree with my views are welcome. However, please refrain from vulgar, racist, sexist, homophobic and other types of language that are disrespectful to other readers. Many thanks.